Tuesday, February 25, 2014

HOMEMADE GET WELL

Thankfully, I don't normally have a need for too many Get Well cards, but I did have to make one recently.  There is a little more to this card than first meets the eye.  Not only have I watercoloured it, but I have also made my own background stamp.

I really like how the tone on tone mosaic background looks on the base card and here is how I made it:

You know all that outline rubber that comes with your stamps?  Don't throw it away!!  If you favour woodmount stamps, then you are going to need a spare wood block to do this technique.  But if you favour clearmount stamps, then you will be able to use your Clear block, as I have done:

I cut my spare rubber into straight edged shapes, not necessarily squares or rectangles, and keep them in a clear mount case ready to use.  This time I chose to use the more regular shapes, stuck them on a clear block and stamped in the same coloured ink as the background card.

1.  Stamp Vivid Vases image in Black Staz On Ink on Watercolour Paper.
2.  Using an Aqua Painter, water colour the vases and flowers.  I also added a small shadow under each vase.
3.  Adhere the watercolour artwork to a card stock mat, then adhere this piece to the bottom half of the card, leaving the stamped mosaic background visible.

I also like to do the inside of my cards and try to carry the theme through as much as I can.  This stamp, however, is rather large and has quite a few vases on it.  I wanted just one vase.  Here is how I did that:

I still want to be able to watercolour this image, so I need to use Black Staz On Ink.  I don't have a permanent marker to isolate just one image, so I masked off one flower and vase with masking tape.

Then I carefully ink up just that one image with the Staz On Ink.  You will get ink on the masking tape.  That's what it is there for, to protect the surrounding images.  Before I stamped the image on my card, I removed the tape!

Then I coloured the image in as before with an Aqua Painter and ink pads.

Did you find this tutorial helpful?  I would love to hear your feedback!


14 comments:

  1. Very pretty card and sure to cheer up anyone. I love your mosaic background - it looks great being stamped in the tone on tone color. Great tutorials!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly. I like the tone on tone look too. It is a great way to jazz up an otherwise boring base card.

      Delete
  2. What a cool idea for a background! I have to remember that next time I buy new stamps. Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs Sandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could lay claim to this idea my self Sandra, but I got seen so many Demonstrators use it. It is nice to know though, that there is practically a use for everything - even old rubber, lol

      Delete
  3. Love your card Paula, very inspiring. Thats probably one of the few things I do throw away, and now I will be keeping that too..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to enable any crafter to keep even more stuff, Karen, lol

      Delete
  4. I love how you made your background stamp on the clear block! What a great idea. I also love how you showed to tape off part of the stamp to only get one vase. Why didn't I ever think of that?! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Shana. When I come across an idea that makes me go "well, duh", I often ask myself the same question. Thank goodness we have so many demonstrators and artists willing to share their "ah, ha!" moments with us all.

      Delete
  5. Yes! Very helpful for the background stamp and the masking to get just one vase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when I can a lot more mileage out of one stamp, Lorraine. Masking images is a great way to do that. Enjoy ♥

      Delete
  6. Beautiful card. Love the idea for the background .& the masking idea is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way you breathed new life into this old image! Beautiful watercoloring. I have been planning to make a mosaic background with left-over pieces of rubber forever. Now that I've seen yours, I think I'll actually do it. I love the look you achieved with it. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Daria. I am glad I have inspired you to finally give it a go. It is a fab technique! Have fun.

      Delete
  8. Love your tip on making a mosaic background. It really makes a great card using the vases stamp. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. Your comments are very much appreciated ♥