Monday, February 8, 2016

SOFT & DREAMY - A GDP SKETCH CHALLENGE

I love a good sketch challenge to inspire me and that is exactly what we have on offer at Global Design Project this week.  Teneale Williams comes up with the best sketches for us to play along with!

When I first saw the sketch I immediately thought "Valentine", since we are only a week away from that particular celebration.  But then I figured, it doesn't have to be a romantic card in the traditional sense, so I set about creating a card that would still appeal to a guy (if a woman was giving it), but not be smothered in pinks, reds and hearts!

I love the soft, almost ethereal look of the technique I used to create this watery picture.  Called Water stamping, it gives a ghostly appearance to your images.  The trick was to heavily apply ink to the card.  Spritz the stamp with a fine mist of water from about 30cm away, then stamp on your inked card.  I held it for a few seconds just to be sure the water was actually picking up some of that ink.

I have to tell you something funny.  My husband, who is a guy (yes, he is), DOES NOT LIKE IT!  I appreciate honesty, but you could have softened the blow a little sweetie, lol.  But as with anything, I know this will really appeal to some and not to others and that's Ok.  I like it.  What do you think?

The Design Team at Global Design Project have been astounded by the number of entries we have had playing along recently and we are truly grateful for each of you who enjoy the challenges we set each week.  We hope you will play along this week too.

Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog

If you would like to order Stampin' Up! products and you live in New Zealand, simply click HERE to be taken to my Online Store. If you live anywhere in New Zealand, I would love to be your Demonstrator. Please allow "Demonstrator contact" so I can thank you properly when you place your order!

17 comments:

  1. WOW, the background is stunning!! Top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try this technique Paula! I think your card is really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job with the background, love it !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paula, how do you create these stunning cards, again and again? Love the color of the background and how you echoed it with the ribbon while adding those dynamic stripes! This soft water stamping technique balances the snappiness of the ribbon and the matting and the ship's wheel with antique brad is the perfect popped up embellishment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. I think having the stark fine white lines around everything really helps to make it all pop as well. I love your enthusiasm!

      Delete
  5. Forgot to mention that the spatter on the card base enhanced this design by giving small spots of added texture. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, boys... Well, I think it is a very cool look. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - it's a fantastic card. I love the background! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your card is simply GORGEOUS! It's a beautiful technique! Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I don't care if hubby doesn't like it Paula, cos I LOVE it! Fantastic technique which I'll have to have a go at. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a lovely card Paula, colours are deeeeelicious! I guess some people just don't like Jellyfish! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so cool! My 4 year old says OOOOOOOHHH momma!! I think I'll be making this one for him lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. These jellies are perfect, Paula! You've created a gorgeous background on this card - I love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aren't husbands funny, the only time my hubby says he likes a card in my office is when I can guarantee I haven't made it!! I love the soft background and your card is beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this Paula ... those men folk are a funny breed - if only they'd think before putting mouth in motion lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. Your comments are very much appreciated ♥