Monday, January 25, 2016

CASEING CONNIE - #GDP020


Connie Collins is one of my crafting idols.  I first came across her work when she was on the Stampin' Up! Artisan Design Team a couple of years ago.  I am pleased to say that I get to work with this brilliant lady on the Global Design Project team now AND she is back on the Artisan Design Team again this year too!  So why am I telling you this?  This weeks challenge at Global Design Project is to CASE Connie!!

There are many definitions of CASE, but at Global Design Project it means Copy And Selectively Edit.  This means anything about the original project may inspire you such as theme, layout, colour, stamps - anything!

I find CASEing quite hard because I tend to want to copy.  Normally it's because the project caught my eye and I want it for myself, lol.  Connie's card is really bold, with a definite theme and a huge focal point.  So I chose to do something quite different than what I would normally do when CASEing.

So I wasn't too heavily influenced to do the "same" as Connie, I looked at her card and wrote down three of four things that really struck me about her card, then I closed her project down, not to look at it again.  This way I felt I had a little more freedom to be creative with it!

I loved the bold stripes on her card, so I kept those and added lots of colour!  I did this by masking off sections and heavily sponging lots of colour on my card.  I also liked the Black (or Navy), White and Gold.  I still kept those, although made the gold just subtle pieces.

I also kept the bold focal point by using a large, bold font from the SAB set of the same name - Hello.  This set is for a limited time and only available until the 15th of February, so get your SAB order to me asap so you don't miss out!

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed making this project by CASEing this way.  I wasn't lead so much by having a picture of her project constantly in front of me, but was still able to have the integral parts that struck me in the first place. I think I will be CASEing projects this way more often!

I hope you will join us this week with your own inspired work CASEing Connie.  Join us over at Global Design Project and see the amazing projects the rest of the team have created.
Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog
If you would like to order Stampin' Up! products and you live in New Zealand, simply click HERE to be taken to my Online Store. If you live anywhere in New Zealand, I would love to be your Demonstrator. Please allow "Demonstrator contact" so I can thank you properly when you place your order!

18 comments:

  1. I love your card Paula. Do you feel a video tutorial coming on? Angela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely that you would like to see a video Angela. I am plucking up the courage to do one eventually. I just hope I don't bore anyone!

      Delete
  2. The bold stripes on your card are amazing, Paula! Love the placement of your sentiment, too. A work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Paula for your kind words. I love the CASE you created based on my card. I think your approach to CASEING is spot on. I always love to see your beautiful creations! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my absolute pleasure to CASE your card this week Connie. I love that the projects are actually nothing alike to look at, but still carry a strong relationship to each other. Thankful to have you as a friend xox

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous Paula .. I am in awe of your choice of colours, your precise sponging and crisp embossing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this card, Paula. You are truly a genius with color. The touches of black are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous way to CASE, Paula. I too tend to want to 'copy' for the same reasons - I love it and I want it. I love your idea of jotting a couple of key things down and putting it away. I'm definitely going to try this method. Absolutely love what you've created here - so bold and striking. xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving your stripes and simple yet bold sentiment, Paula. You have inspired me and I would love to CASE your divine project? D x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how bold this is! A great card!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paula, I love your choice of these good strong colors! Your method of CASEing is similar to what I do when I go to use a particular stamp set. I view a number of variations and then go and design my card based on an amalgamation of everything I have observed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So wonderful! Great color combination ❤︎

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is stunning Paula -will be giving this technique a go - thanks for the inspiration chic - Andrea & the dogs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your sponge layers are awesome and so is your card. Just lovely Paula x

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea to sponge the stripes. The SAB Set is one of my favorite sets this year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the sponged stripes! Very clever!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. Your comments are very much appreciated ♥