Friday, May 30, 2014

JUST ADD WATERCOLOUR #216

One of the biggest trends at the moment seems to be watercolouring and I thought this would be a fun challenge to set everyone this week at Just Add Ink.  You don't have to be Picasso to watercolour either, you can be as wishy washy or precise as you like.

I have a passion for colouring in, but don't claim to be an artist.  I enjoyed the whole process of putting this card together and chose to just colour shapes, rather than an image identifiable as something in particular!! Yep, I took the safe option!!

How I made this watercolour panel:
1.  I stamped the hexagons on watercolour paper with Black Staz On.  (Yes, one at a time!)
2.  I coloured in one hexagon with water only.
3.  Using an Aqua Painter, I picked up ink from the lid of my chosen Stampin' Up! colour and coloured that wet hexagon, letting the colour wash out as I moved from top to bottom.
4.  I repeated the same process for each hexagon until all were coloured.

I used two inks in each colour, one dark and one light, side by side in separate hexagons.  I also let my panel dry naturally, but you could speed this along gently with a heat gun.  Mount your panel as desired.

I made this card for my sisters birthday recently and she loved it.  I hope you do too, and try the technique I have described above.  If you do, will you let me know?  I love to hear what people think of these brief tutorials.  I have also had some requests for tutorials for the two swap cards I made for Convention.  I promise to get these done as soon as I get a little down time.  Watch this space!

I hope you feel inspired to join the challenge this week at Just Add Ink.  The design team have some superb examples of watercolouring for you to see also.  We look forward to seeing you there!

14 comments:

  1. Paula this is gobsmackingly gorgeous! I just love the fabulous rainbow of hexagons and the gradients of colours you achieved so beautifully. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a patient soul my friend..:0) It was time well spent, as your watercolouring and design have created a fabulous card. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say Nikki? I LOVE my Stamp-a-ma-jig!!

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous watercoloring technique! I Love your dark to light shading. TFS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy! The Aqua Painter makes watercolouring so very easy :-)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for your tutorials so inspiring ! I love the gradients of colours in your projects. Your are very talented !

    Marie-Thérèse
    Québec, Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie-Therese, it's nice to know you like my tutorials, as I enjoy sharing them ♥

      Delete
  5. WOW. This is amazing - I had to do a double take. Love your work and wish you were closer so I could have private lessons :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The feeling is mutual, Paula. I would love to attend a class or two of yours as well!

      Delete
  6. Wow this is stunning Paula. You have positioned each hexagon so perfectly and the colours is awesome too. It must have taken ages. Love it. Chantell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a labour of love Chantell. Definitely not a 10 minute card, lol

      Delete
  7. So very, very eye catching Paula. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all the wonderful colors and the way you shaded each hexagon. Beautiful and fun card!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. Your comments are very much appreciated ♥