Friday, January 14, 2011

JUST ADD MONOCHROME!

I enjoy doing projects in Black and White, so I was really excited to do my Design for this weeks JUST ADD INK challenge - Just Add Monochrome!  Do pop over to the site to see the other Designer entries - you are in for a treat!  Each week from now on, you will get to enjoy a Design from every DT member, not just fortnightly anymore!  Amanda and Danielle have been working behind the scenes to make JAI bigger and better than before!

I wanted to get away from my stock standard card design, even though I am primarily a card maker.  I decided to have a go at my first ever Grown up scrapbook page - a 12x12!  I find these so hard to do, such a lot of space to fill!!  That is normally what stops me from attempting them.  I dont have a clue what the "rules" for scrapbooking are, so please forgive me if I have broken many!!

This is a tribute to my Sister and BIL's Wedding day.  My BIL is a Plane and car nut.  The car belonged to his Dad, who has since passed away, so it had a lot of meaning to them on their special day.  Barry should have been a pilot - so what better title for my page than "Flying High".

I have hand made all the embellishments on this page.  Each flower is different.  The big black one is a scalloped punched, faux Suede flower, the little black flower is made from organza, and the cream ones, from Satin Ribbon.  I love how each one has turned out.  Of course, I had to add BLING!

I have also broken out a new product called Smooch Spritz and used it to add glimmer to my background page.  It is hard to photograph, but it sure looks pretty in real life.

Instead of using chipboard for my title, I got to break out my Big Shot and Timeless Type Alphabet dies.  This is such a cost effective way to add letters to your work.  Buy the die once, and you have it to use over and over and you will always have the right letters to use!  I have also stamped part of the title and just cut out block letters.

I would love to know what you think of this page.  I appreciate all feedback I get, so please leave me a comment and then go leave the rest of the Design Team some comment love too!

29 comments:

  1. Its one gorgeous page Paula! Love all of your handmade embellishments too. I love that smooch spritz myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GO PAULA! Cardmaker turned scrapbooker! THIS IS AMAZING! One of the most beautiful pages I've seen!I don't know 'the rules' either, but this sure works for me! You've graduated to grown-up 12x12 with 'flying' colours! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paula that is a gorgeous layout the flowers are beautiful and as I've seen it in real life I know it all looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Paula it's gorgeous. Love it. Awesome challenge at JAI this week, I can't wait to create something when I get back after the weekend

    ReplyDelete
  5. Broken rules??!!! Uh-uh - you're a natural at this Paula! Looks stunning

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paula - I don't know what to say. This is absolutely STUNNING and is now definitly my fav scrapbook page I've ever seen. It is PERFECT. I would be SO SO SO proud of this one if I were you! Love all the little details you have chosen and it mut've taken you ages to put it all together. It was worth it - I LOVE IT! I definitly want to CASE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! This is absolutley gorgeous Paula! I don't normally do monochromatic projects because they can be "bland and boring" but this is far from that. You have so many little details that I just want to keep going back and having another look. I love your flowers, especially the satin ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paula you have done a beautiful tribute page to their wedding and I especially love the cream flowers you made, they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paula, What a stunning page. Just beautiful.
    Rach:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love what you've done here! It's gorgeous. Especially like the satin ribbon flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Utterly stunning, Paula - very classy and elegant. I love the flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Paula, I absolutely love your page. Fabulous that you made all your own embellishments too. Gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the black and white. Are there scrapbooking rules? If you like it and it works thats rule no.1 complied with. Love the flowers. Maybe one scrapbooking rule is a time limit to each page, oops how long did it take.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy Paula- and see a 12 X 12 isn't so scary :)
    Great job x
    Ps There are No scrapbooking rules :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my! I am completely blown away by all of your lovely comments about this page. I am also pleased to hear that if I "like" it on a page, then that is good enough, hehe. I did try awfully hard to "balance" everything!

    I will admit to taking two days to put this page together. The colours, photo and elements didn't take long, it was the positioning of everything together! I would move things, go away, come back again with a fresh eye, then move things again - you get the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well ...!!! OM goodness. You should scrapbook more often as this is one stunning page. I love all the flowers, bling, smooch spritz and border ... pretty much everything! I loved it the minute I clapped eyes on it. GREAT WORK, Paula!

    ReplyDelete
  17. well all your "moving things about" certainly paid off. Good thing you are on the DT cause this would have been a winner for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Paula - it is just stunning! I'm in awe. Love all the details you added - the different letters, the flowers, ahh I could go on - its all fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is gorgeous Paula! I love the flowers. Beautiful black and white page!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! What a fabulous page! I love it all, but my favourite thing has to be the hand made embellishments. They are just gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Paula, I have been catching up on all that you have been doing and WOW. This page is stunning, I love the black and white it is so elegant and those flowers are the perfect embellishments - truly gorgeous. Glad to hear of someone else who needs a bit of a lift (cushions - lol).
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous layout Paula, especially in monochrome

    ReplyDelete
  23. Haha - I have to agree with Rhonda's comment, Paula. GREAT thing that you're on the DT, or no-one else would ever get a look in!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog Paula. No, I didn't make the flowers. I've been practicing but haven't quite got it yet. But be on the look out....hopefully I'll have the knack of it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Paula! Had a giggle about your "grown up" comment - heehee, I didn't know there were rules around scrapbooking either. All I know is you're a natural and I hope to see you do MORE! And more close ups of all those gorgeous little details you've hidden in there too please - stunning work!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, Paula! For an 'amateur' scrapper ... this is amazing! Stunning! Gorgeous! Your work is beautiful. I have missed popping by over the last few days. Hugs xxaxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. THis is just stunning Paula, and way to go for your first layout. I find it so hard to scrapbook with only SU but you have done a great job, and as for the "rules" I reckon as long as you like it then it is successful, and thats what I tell my scrapbooking customers!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is lovely Paula... great use of black and white too, they can sometimes be so hard together.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You have done it again Paula. Stunning!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. Your comments are very much appreciated ♥