Tuesday, March 2, 2010

IMPOSSIBLE BOX - TUTORUAL

Here is the tutorial of the Impossible Box I promised you.  I tried to post this last night, but for some reason it didn't work!  Second time lucky eh?
 
This layout can be made to whatever size cardstock you have available.  This is an A4 size and the dimensions I have used are 6 x 6cm for the Base, Sides and Lid Top.  The lid edge is 2 cm wide, the tabs are 1.5cm wide.  Again you can adjust to your own measurements.  Score on the dotted lines and cut on the solid lines.
Your card should now look like this:






If you are going to stamp a design, do it now.
I folded the box base underneath the area I was
stamping, so I ended up with a plain white base.
You could also mask it instead.





I wanted colour on the top of my box.  You need
to turn the card over. as this is the surface which will
appear on the top.  I have chosen to sponge in the
same colour as my stamped flowers, darkening
what will be the centre of the lid.



Turn your card back to the front again and fold
the lid edge toward you.  Make sure you score
your lines well. to make them nice and crsip!

Using Sticky Strip, adhere to the tabs as shown.
Make sure you lid edge is folded over before
sticking down the side tab of your card to the opposite end.  This  will create the body of your box and you won't be able to fold the lid edge once it is stuck down.


















Fold up the bottom flaps of your card and adhere together to form the base of your box.  Don't stick the tab down for the lid just yet.  Your box will now look like this:










Because the box and lid are the same size, I found the best way to make sure the lid will slide down over the body of the box, is to close the box before adhering the tab.  Close the box by gently pushing down on the lid.  Take the backing off your sticky strip and gently squeeze the sides together and stick down.  It will be a little off (as shown) but that's ok.  We can hide this with embellishments!











Now you can see the sponging I did earlier.  The inside of the box is now on the top!
















Gently pull the edges up to open the box again.  Fill with your favourite chocolates, soaps, or anything small you would like to put in your gift.







I have also added a ribbon just to finish the sides off nicely.  Now your completed box should look like this:







HAPPY CRAFTING TO YOU ALL!!

15 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the tutorial Paula. i loved the box as soon as you posted it, and hoped you would come back with the instructions! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How the heck did you work that out for yourself? Did you pull the first one apart? That's awesome, Paula - thank you for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely fantastic tutorial Paula!!Thanks a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this! It's too cute not to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tutorial. It looks great I know what I will be doing tomorrow morning. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Paula, this box is amazing. Thank you soooo much for sharing. I will definitely be having a go at this one . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for sharing Paula. You are a clever cookie. Now to find the time to sit down and make one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow that is such a cool box - perfect for some little easter goodies I am thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing this fab Tutorial Paula this box will go on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome and something I will create over and over. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Paula! Thanks for this awesome tutorial, I've made my first one! http://danielledaws.blogspot.com/2010/03/upsy-daisy-impossible-box.html

    I'd love to know how you do it without needing to print the template on the cardstock...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for that Paula. I always find something to love on your blog. Pam Cregeen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Paula,
    thanks for that great tutorial. I´m gonna try it out later this day.
    Regards from Germany
    Biggie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi,
    I love explosion-boxes.... this box is difficult and very nice. I want to try it, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the impossible box.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. Your comments are very much appreciated ♥